Saturday, January 25, 2014

CASTING & BLASTING


CASTING & BLASTING

I’ve had an exciting and busy week.  On Monday I headed south to fish Ochlocknee Bay for redfish and trout, and then this Saturday I took advantage of a wood duck hole I had been watching all year.  I had mixed results, but had a ball casting and blasting.

My history with Ochlocknee Bay is a mixed bag.  I’ve had a lot of success toward the mouth of the bay at Bald Point and to the east in Oyster Bay, but the back of Ochlocknee Bay has always been a challenge for me.  There are fish there and people do catch them, but so far, I’m not one of those people. 

 

I arrived early Monday morning and found a deep hole around 35 feet to fish.  The hole was just off the end of the seldom used boat ramp from which I launched my kayak.  I fished with cut mullet and shrimp, and managed just a single sheephead.  These fish are fun and tasty, but not what I was after.  After striking out at my hole, I paddled up and down the bay, but never found the fish. 

My results this Saturday were much better.  I have a honey hole that wood ducks have been pouring into all winter.  I had purposely not hunted there just saving it for the last day of the season.  I was able to convince my brother and a few friends to sneak back there with me and wack em’. 

The morning was cold, but productive.  We arrived at the hole thirty minutes before daylight, and waited patiently.  Sure enough, the ducks soon began to pour in.  They arrived in groups of three up to ten.  The hunt didn’t last long, but we were able to find eight dead woodies between the four of us.  All in all a great morning. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment